Today is the deadline to sign up for upcoming consultations on potential value creation models for Canada.
On Oct. 19, Agriculture and Agri-food Canada (AAFC) and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) initiated a preliminary engagement process on a potential new funding mechanism for cereals research and variety development in Canada. The process includes four face-to-face meetings with invited stakeholders between mid-November and early December 2018, to be followed by an online engagement that will run through February 2019.
This engagement could potentially lead to a formal regulatory change process and implementation of supporting regulatory amendments as outlined in CFIA’s Forward Regulatory Plan as early as 2020.
Both of the models being proposed for consideration are designed to generate additional revenue flows for breeders from farm saved seed and would be enabled through amendments to the Plant Breeders Rights Act Regulations. The proposed models are described by AAFC and CFIA as follows:
- End point royalties: royalties collected on all harvested grain, including production from farm-saved seed, and distributed to plant breeders/rights holders.
- Royalty collection enabled via production contracts (trailing royalty): contractual restrictions on farm-saved seed use or royalty payments made directly to variety developers by producers for their farm-saved seed use.
Should you be interested in participating in any of the planned face to face sessions, you are encouraged to contact Kyle Kierstead by email at Kyle.Kierstead@Canada.ca by Nov. 2, 2018. Sessions are currently scheduled as follows:
- Winnipeg, MB – Friday, November 16, 2018 from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm at the Delta Hotels by Marriot Winnipeg, 350 St. Mary Avenue;
- Ottawa, ON – Friday, November 30, 2018 from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm at the Hilton Garden Inn Ottawa Airport, 2400 Alert Road;
- Saskatoon, SK – Tuesday, December 4, 2018 from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm at the Saskatoon Inn and Conference Centre, 2002 Airport Drive; and
- Edmonton, AB – Thursday, December 6, 2018 from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm at the Renaissance Edmonton Airport Hotel, 4236 36th Street.